[IPk] Re: Letter To Balance

While I agree with you that the letter was probably
published in order to generate debate, surely it would
have been more sensible to have written an editor's
comment to this effect. As has already been pointed
out, many newly diagnosed diabetics are given copies
of Balance to read.
When I was diagnosed at 17 it was a great shock and I
was very worried about how it would affect my life
style, university life, career etc.. If I had read
this letter I would have been devastated to think that
diabetics should not have children.
Obviously there are a lot of opinions regarding the
effect that diabetes has on an individual's life. I
can think of a lot of things that would be much worse
than diabetes. Then again maybe I'm just lucky that I
haven't had any complications yet and manage to lead a
'normal' life without diabetes getting in the way too
If Diabetes UK wish to start a debate on fertility
treatment and diabetes they should do so openly, not
by publishing such a sad, selfish and misguided

Do You Yahoo!?