Re: [IPk] Letter to Balance (July/August)

> Has anyone read the letter section of the most
> recent
> edition of Balance? I have and I was extremely
> outraged by the letter from Douglas Henly (Selfish
> Pregnancy?). In his letter he comments on an article
> in the May/June issue highlighting Geeta Patel who
> is
> a diabetic undergoing fertility treatment. Mr Henly
> claims that taking the 'proactive step of undergoing
> fertility treatment was exceedingly selfish'. He
> then
> goes on to say 'to knowingly risk passing on to them
> such an afliction (i.e. diabetes)  is - I think -
> reprehensible'.

Hi Susan -

Yes - me too! I read that letter in Balance and
thought what an idiot the guy sounded. A life with
diabetes is more valuable than no life at all. We've
recently had a baby, and even if there were a 100%
chance that my son would also get diabetes (which
there isn't) I would have had no hesitation in having
a child. Suggesting otherwise is suggesting that my
own life isn't valuable.

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Photos -- now, 100 FREE prints!