Re: [IPk] Letter to Balance (July/August)

As you spotted, Mr Henly is, at best, a deeply unhappy man, who wishes
he had never been born.  At worst, he is a neo-Nazi.

Whether Mr Henly deserves our sympathy or our contempt, the BDA should
not, I think, have published his letter without comment.

In message <email @ redacted>, Susan
Morrow <email @ redacted> writes
>Has anyone read the letter section of the most recent
>edition of Balance? I have and I was extremely
>outraged by the letter from Douglas Henly (Selfish
>Pregnancy?). In his letter he comments on an article
>in the May/June issue highlighting Geeta Patel who is
>a diabetic undergoing fertility treatment. Mr Henly
>claims that taking the 'proactive step of undergoing
>fertility treatment was exceedingly selfish'. He then
>goes on to say 'to knowingly risk passing on to them
>such an afliction (i.e. diabetes)  is - I think -
>Isn't it sad that in this day and age such bigoted and
>discriminative views continue to be held. There is no
>reason why diabetics should not have healthy babies.
>There is an increased risk of inheriting diabetes if
>the mother is diabetic (1:50) but why on earth should
>that be a reason not to have children. Diabetes is a
>disease that can be treated and treated successfully.
>It's almost like saying all children must have blue
>eyes and blond hair.
>I can't believe that Balance and Diabetes UK  could
>have the audacity to print such outrageous views.
>Do You Yahoo!?
>or your free @yahoo.ie address at http://mail.yahoo.ie

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)