Re: [IPk] question about ketones

My understanding is that ketones occur when the body isn't able to get
all its energy from blood glucose (and starts to break itself down,
instead).  This happens in two cases:
Scenario 1: when there is insufficient insulin to metabolise enough
blood glucose (normally resulting in high blood glucose levels), and
Scenario 2: when there isn't enough glucose entering the blood/or
already there to meet the body's need.

What happened is (I think) the mini marathon took a lot out of your
body, and afterwards, your bg was low, so ketones resulted as your body
demanded energy.  You may even have gone low again after your bedtime
test, resulting in more ketones.  Indeed, 11.1 seems quite high if you
were in the high 3s and ate 15g of CHO.  (That would make 10g raise your
bg by almost 5). I'd suspect that the 11.1 was a rebound from a hypo -
perhaps the one you observed, perhaps a later one (but then, 10g raises
me only by 3.5).  What's your normal raise?

Hope this helps,
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)