[IPk] Pump alternatives

In message <email @ redacted>,
Jenny Hirst <email @ redacted> writes
>I was not in anyway trying to say that pumps should not be an option for
>people - indeed I am a great believer in choice. I do get disturbed though
>for the people who are struggling with their diabetes and want or need pump
>therapy but cannot get it for one reason or another. I was trying to point
>out that perhaps they could, in the meantime, try a different insulin eg
>pork or beef. These slower and less aggressive insulins sometimes work
>better than 'human' or Humalog.
I sort-of agree: I agree that sometimes the problem is one of speed (me,
personally, need something about twice as FAST as humalog), far more
often the problems are reliability (those little graphs suggest that it
peaks at X hours after injection, well, that's just the peak of the
bell-curve of distribution of observed peak times).  For each
individual, some insulins are more or less reliable.  Also, some people
need a particularly combination of one kind of slower (i.e. starting to
work later) or slower in another way (working longer) or 'less
aggressive', by which you mean, I presume, a flatter activity curve.
Some people also need a sharper activity curve, but delivered hours
after injection (me again, to cope with the dawn effect).

But, on the whole, I disagree: the main reason doctors don't suggest
pumps is their ignorance (ignorance of the variability of insulin,
ignorance of the pump, ignorance of effective patient education
techniques). Such doctors are highly unlikely to start considering
animal source insulins! Indeed, there is one pumper here who went to a
pump when he found human insulins caused problems, and couldn't persuade
his consultant to change him back.  Your argument is very good in a
third-world country, where the costs of pumps are prohibitive, and the
economy does not have to bear the costs of complications.  But not here.

It just bugs me as a tax payer that 10% of the NHS budget is going on
diabetics, when I can see a dozen measures which, if implemented today
would pay for themselves in ten years, and in fifty years reduce costs
enormously.  Leaving more for the pensioner that I hope to be then!

And it makes me even more mad that I'm not even allowed to put my money
where my mouth is!
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)