Re: [IPk] Thyroid

>I also have an underactive thyroid and have had for 4 years, diabetic for 15
>on MDI but considering a pump.  I am interested by your question as I have
>never been told that the thyroxin I take will affect the insulin - similar
>to Jeremy I think.  Now you have raised this it would be interesting if
>anybody on the list in the medical profession can offer a view on this ?  I
>will certainly be asking at my next clinic appointment in a couple of weeks
>I also have vitiligo - a skin de-pigmentation condition - and have been told
>that all three conditions are connected - does anybody else on the list have
>the 3 ?

Hi Becky -

As you suggest, there is a whole bundle of disorders, know as autoimmune
disorders, caused by the body's immune system attacking its own tissue.
Having any one disorder increases the risk of you having another - and
women get it worse than men. My good book (BMA Complete Family Health
Encyclopedia) lists under autoimmune disorders:

Addison's disease (adrenal glands)
Autoimmune haemolytic anaemia (red blood cells)
Autoimmune chronic active hepatitis (liver)
Autoimmune infertility (sperm or ovary)
Diabetes mellitus type 1 (pancreas)
Goodpasture's syndrome (lung and kidney)
Grave's disease (thyroid gland)
Hishimoto's thyroiditis (thyroid gland)
Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (platelets)
Myasthenia gravis (muscle receptors)
Pernicious anaemia (stomach lining)
Vitiligo (melanocytes)

and also