[IPk] Pump and sport

>One of the main attractions was to try and stabilise my readings both before
>and after sport.
>If one disconnects from the pump before vigorous exercise, is it impossible
>to then have a hypo subsequently (assuming of course that your blood sugar
>level was not bordering on hypoglycemia before) ?

Hi Martin -

It's a bit more complicated than just disconnecting. With no new insulin
going in, your bg may be rising uncontrollably within the hour - so you'll
hardly be stabilsing your readings...

With sport and diabetes, it's quite tricky to get the bg's right, but it
can be done. And it's a lot easier with a pump. Best if you can keep the
pump on, but put somewhere suitably safe (I sometimes put mine in my
underpants as a suitably safe but out of the way place).

How you change your insulin (the continuous basal rate) varies a lot from
person to person, and from sport to sport, and depends on things like how
fit you are to start with. You've essentially got to try it and work it out
for yourself. Some people find that the insulin sensitivity increases
dramatically as you start to exercise, so you must have lowered your basal
rate say 30 minutes earlier. But the sensitivity may return to normal about
an hour later, even though you are still exercising. So you may benefit
from putting the basal rate back to normal an hour later. But this is all
very much try it, test a lot, and see.

Hope that helps a bit :-)

mailto:email @ redacted