Re: [IPk] Re: Diabetes Experts Know The Best Kept Secret in Medicine

In message <email @ redacted>, Sara
Gray <email @ redacted> writes
> I am the only person
>that hates diabetes and cannot get a grip on it ?
Goodness, no.  I hate diabetes.  I don't know anyone who has any
positive feelings towards it.  As to getting a grip on it ... I've had
diabetes for 30 years, and in the last four, when I've been measuring my
bgs 4+ times a day I have had 3 DAYS (yes, THREE in four years) in which
my bgs have been over 4, under 10.

Getting a grip on it means two things: getting it under control, and
being mentally up to the challenge.  Diabetes is particularly nasty
because it comes with a bio-feedback loop which works like this:
you have high bgs.
High bgs cause depression - so you care for yourself less, so you get
high bgs.
High bgs cause infection - which raise bgs.
High bgs are stressful - stress raises bgs.
So you end up not just with high bgs, but with high bgs, stress,
depression and infections which are all self-perpetuating.

I am looking forwards to using a pump because, it seems to me, it is a
great tool for putting the right amount of substitute insulin into my
body, so that it is active at the right time.  The waiting years have
been frustrating, but I have learnt a lot about my body: it isn't
constant in its needs (time of day, time of month, stress, infections,
etc. etc.), but it is fairly predictable.  (And you think you're the
only one that hates this!)

Like you, I used to loathe finger-stabbing. No one believed how painful
I found it.  The solution was to get very bad sinusitis, and have a
month on a mild opiate drug which made me giggle and blocked pain.  I
found it didn't hurt to stab myself, and so kept on stabbing - multiple-
lancing while drugged got my fingers tough enough to make the pain
bearable.  It also helped that I had recently bought a new lancet-
whanger (the SoftClix) against the advice of my clinic who said that all
lancet-whangers were the same, and refused to let me try out the two or
three varieties they had, as, they said, I could get AIDs from them
(strange, that, you can get AIDs from experimenting to find the most
comfortable tool, but you can't when they use the same machines to draw
blood for their tests!)

The bottom line is, I think, that the pump will not enable you to wake
up and forget that you are diabetic.  Rather, it will enable you to wake
up with a normal bg, and have a normal bg through the day.  Of course,
there are the long-term benefits of nudging the odds of getting nasty
complications in your favour, but far more important (to me) are the
short term benefits of not feeling as if I'd drunk a bottle or three of
wine the night before (except, when I have).

Best wishes to all,
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)