[IPk] Re: ip-ukDiabetes Experts Know The Best Kept Secret in Medicine

>Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 15:44:44 +0200
Hi John
>Reassuringly, they found a direct relationship between the number of test
>strips obtained and the quality glycaemic control. But they also found that
>increasing age and social deprivation were associated with reduced
>frequency of testing.

I read the paper and I think it proves both our views - that people don't
test as they are advised to but there are many reasons for this and the
next step is to really look into these reasons to have a better
understanding of what's going on and how to try to change this situation.
Clearly the present education system is not working!

>I challenge you to find someone on daily injections who has no severe
>hypos, has an HbA1c in the normal non-diabetic range, and enjoys almost
>complete freedom to eat whatever they want whenever they want... This
>pretty much describes me, except I am on a pump.

I'm not taking up your challenge because I have no doubt that it is right
for you! All I am pointing out is that for people some people who cannot
use a pump, don't want to use a pump or cannot afford a pump, there are
alternatives which may be better than there existing insulin or regime.