From: email @ redacted [mailto:email @ redacted]On Behalf Of David Lincoln
Sent: 01 June 2000 14:40
To: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IPk] Re: Diabetes Experts Know The Best Kept Secret in
Medicine

Hi Jenny ,
Let me tell you my experiences .Firstly I'm an Intensive Care nurse and
regularly see patients with diabetic complications and the worst
compilcations you can imagine. However this never affected me and I
continued on MDI without ever testing my blood sugars unless I was ill or
felt perfectly fine. My blood sugars were rarely normal even when I "felt"
fine sometimes as high as 22 mmols.
It was only last year when my fiance and I started talking about starting a
family after we get married this July that I started worring .I tried for
one week to be religious about my injections and testing doing about 5-10
tests a day ( with massive hypos almost continuously ). I was told by health
professionals that I would have to keep my blood sugars between 5-7 mmols
for 6months before getting pregnant and for the duration of the pregnancy .I
cried buckets I felt a failure and worse still I couldn't imagine how I was
going to manage this.

Here comes the good news I got on the trial at Harrogate and have postponed
getting pregnant until early next year.I have the use of the pump until July
31st and then I go back on MDI .I can tell you now I am dreading it but I
will have a pump when I am finished .Now my only concerns are about getting
pregnant in the first place my diabetes with a minimum 4 test a day is a
breeze.

Carol