Re: [IPk] Balance article - full text

> A lot of the medical profession in this country seem tot hink that 1
> basal rate s fine. Even my own doctor was surprised I was using more
> than one. They all seem to have missed the point. The pump is a tool
> which enables you to fine-tune your control,

Similar problems exist everywhere. The issue of refusal of treatment
because of age, or Type I vs Type II, or having good hba1c's is all
part of the same lack of understanding. It is a issue of education.
The medical AND insurance community must be educated so that they
understand the problems that people with diabetes face on a day to
day basis, as well as the long term implications of good vs. poor
control. That is what Insulin Pumpers is all about, continuing
education for the entire spectrum of people involved in using AND
prescribing pump therapy. All of us must help to spread the word. It
is criminal that a child with diabetes must grow up never tasting a
candybar or ice cream and then face a good probability of losing his
or her sight, kidney failure and loss of limbs when a safe effective
treatment that drastically improves the quality of life is available
and cost effective compared to treating the complications associated
with the disease.

I'll get off my soap box now.