[IPk] Grrrrr - customs tax on pump

I don't know if anyone can help me on this one, but I've jsut received
a bill for 220 pounds for customs tax on my pump (it was sent to by
someone in the US. I spoke to FedEx who just said it was a standard
import tax based on the value of the pump and I still had to pay it
regardless of whether I was actually buying it or not (which I wasn't
since I didn't pay anythign for it). They never mentioned it at the
time of shipping.
OK, 250 pounds for a pump is better than 2000 pounds, but I still don't have
the money, as I had no idea I was going to be charged this.

Does anyone know of any way round this?