Re: [IPk] Type 1 v Type 2

Hi Diane,

It certainly seems odd that this new doctor suddenly took it into his
head to question the diagnosis of type 1, but presumably the tests
(probably anti-GAD antibodies and c-peptide which measure antibodies
characteristically present in type 1 and not type 2, and presence or
absence of residual insulin production) will confirm that it is type
1, and that will be that. It is annoying and probably a waste of your
time, and I thought the NHS was trying to cut back on unnecessary
tests not to do more, but once you have the tests done you will be
able to quote the results to any doubting doctors in the future.

I also have a family history including both type 1 and type 2, and
confused matters further by developing diabetes at the ripe old age of
48, but I was deeply into ketoacidosis at the time, and shortly after
the diagnosis was tested for anti-GAD antibodies, which confirmed the
diagnosis of type 1. Apart from occasional ignorant doctors who tell
me that I must be mistaken and anyone who gets diabetes at age 48 must
have type 2, no one serious has ever questioned the diagnosis in my
case.

Best of luck with the tests
Nanette