Re: [IPk] cannula nightmares

In message <email @ redacted>, emily jost
<email @ redacted> writes
>Should I stick with the silhouette until I get used to it, or would metal
>cannulas be better?  I'm using my upper abdomen and sides and have a fairly
>well-padded build.  All the cannulas I've used have left red marks and
>slightly hardened skin, which i'm not overjoyed about either.

Quicksets work well for most people, but there are a significant
minority for whom they don't work well (me included).  There is a tiny
minority which when "properly trained" can make the quicksets work (e.g.
you have to insert on the out-breath, while sitting down, facing
north-east, and thinking about camels) - ie. I am rather skeptical as to
whether 'the proper technique' does in fact make a difference, but
Medtronic insist that it does, and used to insist that all failures were
down to poor technique.

Are you using a serter for the silhouette? If you are, you might find
hand-insertion easier, and if you aren't, you might find a serter
easier.

Yes, metal cannulas might be the answer.  I particularly liked rapid-Ds
(a luer lock set, so no use to you unless you can persuade your doctors
that they nee to prescribe the cartridges which change a paradigm to a
luer-lock pump).

You don't mention sof-sets, which ARE (or rather were, 18 months or so
ago, which is the last time I looked) available for the paradigm.
These, like quicksets are 90degree jobbies, and have a very nice serter,
or can be hand serted.  Their 'down side' is that the detachment point
is not on the set itself, but a few cm down the tube.  Which means that
when 'detached' you have a few cm of swinging tube.  The upside of this
is if you have poor eyesight, or are unable to bend your head towards
your stomach, you can see the connection better - if you need to see it.

Red marks: do you mean pin-head thingies?  If so, then many people swear
by tea-tree oil for these.  Or do you mean a patch of inflamed skin? If
so, then intensive moisturisation is indicated as a first defence (not
that bit of your stomach where you intend to insert into in the next 12
hours or so, though).  If once you are well moisturised, they still are
inflamed, you can try different sets (this might push your team to
allowing you to use the converter cartridges) and films (like
sticky-backed plastic) such as opsite between the set and your skin.
Medtronic do a brilliant booklet called 'tape tips' which explains the
options (as far as tape and films go).

Cheers,

Pat
dm almost 40, pumper 8+, currently pumping with a Cosmo called Damzon
and Inset IIs

--
Pat Reynolds

It may look messy now ...
         ... but just you come back in 500 years time (T. Pratchett).