Re: [IPk] cannula nightmares

Hi there, are you definitely using the 13mm silhouettes? When i first
started with them my DSN gave me the 17mm ones - the 13mm ones are
definitely less awkward for me...

I have weeks when i feel really happy with them - every insert goes
smoothly, then i seem to have phases of hitting bad patches and
feeling uncomfortable... I know how much difference getting the right
insertion means to how good/bad you feel about the pump...

Are you hitting muscle? Could you alter the angle of insert?

Paula

On 30 Jul 2008, at 21:30, emily jost wrote:

> Thanks Clare,
>
> I'm glad to know it's not just me, and that you found a solution.
> I've felt
> like giving up but can't face going back to MDI either - rock and a
> hard
> place.
> Thanks for the advice.  Unfortunately I don't think I can use my
> thighs due to
> historical lipodystrophy  and meralgia paraesthetica (nerve damage
> due to
> compression) - but maybe there'll be somewhere else...
>
> The silhouettes seem to get insulin into me, so far, but they hurt
> and are
> disturbing my sleep and restricting my movements - plus causing
> anxiety as I
> don't think they should hurt - so I don't think it's a solutuion.
>
> I'd still appreciate info about the metal cannulas if anyone has any
> advice.
>
> thanks,
>
> Emily
>
>> From: email @ redacted
>> Subject: Re: [IPk] cannula nightmares
>> Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 20:25:59 +0100
>> To: email @ redacted
>>
>> Hi Emily,
>>
>> I had exactly the same experience as you and was very stressed at the
>> time like you are.  I've been on the Paradigm 522 for nearly a year
>> now, but found that by only using the top front of my thighs to
>> insert this has solved the problems I was having.  My problems seemed
>> to be with the upper part of my body (particularly the tummy area)
>> and cannulas were either bent on insertion or I just simply couldn't
>> get the insulin into me.  I forever had "no delivery" alarms and
>> never knew what was happening.  Some people say that using the top
>> area of the thigh is a nuisance as you have to be a bit careful not
>> to pull the thing out when changing or going to the loo, but because
>> I now always use this area I am used to it and it really isn't a
>> problem.
>>
>> Might be worth a try Emily, and don't give up as I am sure you will
>> sort something out that suits you, but it is very stressful I know.
>> I went through a very difficult time with it all, but now I very
>> rarely have a problem with this.  I did get to the point when I just
>> didn't know what to do and was ready to give it up, but eventually
>> found out what suited my body.  I use the 9mm teflon quick-set
>> cannulas.
>>
>> Keep trying Emily and I am sure you will find a resolution to this
>> and best of luck to you.
>>
>> Best wishes, Clare
>> (Type 1 for 38 years, Paradigm 522, pumping 11 months)
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I have been on a medtronic paradign 522 for about 6 weeks and while
>>> getting to
>>> grips quite well with most things, have had a lot of problems with
>>> cannulas.
>>> I'd really appreciate some advice from experienced pumpers who've
> [...]

Paula Briggs, Creative Director, AccessArt
www.accessart.org.uk, 01223 262134,
Reg. Charity No.: 1105049 Company Ltd by Guarantee No: 5110197
Become a member of AccessArt