RE: [IPk] Managing Diabetes at school

Jackie,

Good luck on the document. I'm glad to hear that the original authors are
going to be helpful and allow you to use the work they have already done. The
sharing of prior works to help those trying to improve things is a must. Sadly
it doesn't always happen.

I didn't really have much to say other than it's great to hear you're working
on this, I wish you the best of luck.

Knowledge unshared is knowledge lost.

Rich
Type 1 10 years. Pumping 3 years.

> From: email @ redacted> To: email @ redacted> Subject:
[IPk] Managing Diabetes at school> Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 11:05:22 +0100> >
the face of it is seems like a long document because it is comprehensive.>
However it is not a care plan in itself. Each care plan is always written>
individually for each child. As with other medical conditions. It does set>
out what the school, parents and student needs to do. So a school would hold>
the full document but normally would only refer to the care plan or the>
sections> copied for the designated diabetes trained staff.> > Also there are
sections which can be copied i.e. the glucagon pages (my> adaptation is better
that this one, though I do say so myself) also they have> instructions of a
Lilly Glucogen Kit and the UK use the NovoNordisk so have> adapted that.> > My
version will be shorter.> > > This is the original Vermont document>
http://healthvermont.gov/prevent/diabetes/school_diabetes.pdf> This is the
document which I am developing. Steve Taylor (list member and JDRF> member)
contacted the authors on our behalf to ask permission to adapted the> document
from Robin Edelman. He felt a fellow American asking might do the> trick!> >
The reply was> > Quote> Dear Jackie,> We are honored that you have selected
our manual as the one you want to> adapt for use in the UK. I'm
double-checking with our Public Affairs> department, and I believe all that we
expect you to do is note that> yours is "adapted with permission from the
Vermont Department of Health,> United States, Managing Diabetes At School
2006". I would LOVE to> receive a copy of your version when it's done. I'd go
ahead and assume> that the credit line I've emailed is adequate.> > If there
are questions or issues that arise and you need more input I> would try to
connect you with some of our original authors who work in> pediatric diabetes
clinics.> > Thanks for contacting me.> > Sincerely,> > Robin Edelman MS, RD,
CDE> Diabetes Program Administrator> Vermont Department of Health> 108 Cherry
Street> PO Box 70> Burlington, VT 05402-0070> > > > > > Jackie> > > > > > > >
Outbound message clean.> Virus Database (VPS): 080728-0, 28/07/2008> Tested
on: 29/07/2008 11:05:12> avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2008 ALWIL Software.>