[IPk] Managing Diabetes at school

 On the face of it is seems like a long document because it is comprehensive.
However it is not a care plan in itself.  Each care plan is always written
individually for each child. As with other medical conditions.    It does set
out what the school, parents and student needs to do.  So a school would hold
 the full document but normally would only refer to the care plan or the
sections
copied for the designated diabetes trained staff.

Also there are sections which can be copied  i.e. the glucagon pages  (my
adaptation is better that this one, though I do say so myself) also they have
instructions of a Lilly Glucogen Kit and the UK use the NovoNordisk so have
adapted that.

My version will be shorter.

This is the original Vermont document
http://healthvermont.gov/prevent/diabetes/school_diabetes.pdf
This is the document which I am developing.  Steve Taylor (list member and JDRF
member) contacted the authors on our behalf to ask permission to adapted the
document from Robin Edelman.  He felt a fellow American asking might do the
trick!

The reply was

Dear Jackie,
We are honored that you have selected our manual as the one you want to
adapt for use in the UK. I'm double-checking with our Public Affairs
department, and I believe all that we expect you to do is note that
yours is "adapted with permission from the Vermont Department of Health,
United States, Managing Diabetes At School 2006". I would LOVE to
receive a copy of your version when it's done. I'd go ahead and assume
that the credit line I've emailed is adequate.

If there are questions or issues that arise and you need more input I
would try to connect you with some of our original authors who work in
pediatric diabetes clinics.

Thanks for contacting me.

Sincerely,

Robin Edelman MS, RD, CDE
Diabetes Program Administrator
Vermont Department of Health
108 Cherry Street
PO Box 70
Burlington, VT 05402-0070

Jackie

email @ redacted email @ redacted

---
Virus Database (VPS): 080728-0, 28/07/2008
Tested on: 29/07/2008 11:05:12