[IPk] Prescription expemption renewal

Hi All
Just a query..
I had to get a 'script from the docs today for a severe chest infection
(ahh...summer!) and realised while in the chemist my exemption certificate
is due to expire in August. In the past (I've had type 1 diabetes for 34
yrs) I have had to go through hoops to get a new card with loads of forms,
Drs certificates, etc., to fill out and it takes months to get a new one.
The chemist said that normally, anyone with a chronic condition that isn't
going to change, (ie: type 1 diabetes) will automatically be sent a new card
without having to fill out forms, etc., but this never happens with mine.
I'd like to know how anyone on here goes about renewing their cards. I don't
have a telephone number to call them on, just a PO address in Newcastle. Has
anyone got a contact number? How long do you get your cards for? My cards
normally last 3 years. A lady in the chemist said her sister has type 1 and
has been issued a card for life!
Regards and puzzled
Helen (medtronic minimed 522 4 years plus)