Re: [IPk] Near-continuous monitoring of something that isn't blood glucose

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 7:32 AM, Melissa Ford
<email @ redacted> wrote:

> Pat asked, "Does INPUT have anything I can send her, explaining her
> duties and capabilities as a doctor, so that she can fight for me and
> other patients?"
>
> We are working on it! We expect to have something finished-sounding
> within the next few months. In the meantime the NSF on diabetes
> (google: nsf diabetes)  and the NICE general diabetes info
> (www.diabetes.nhs.uk/downloads/NICE_and_Diabetes.pdf) may be of some
> use.
>
> Pat, what is particularly that you want to explain? The biomarkers
> that ought to be checked, the way NICE works, the philosophy behind
> pump use & carb counting... all the of those and more?

I think what Pat's talking about is the role of the doctor as advocate
for her patients, and the paths through the bureaucracy to appeal
adverse decisions and reverse or gain exceptions to problematic
policies.

Too often (not just in medicine) someone vaguely recalls a policy that
they think means you can't have what you want or need, and on that
basis tells you flatly it's not possible.