[IPk] Re : "Essential" criteria for a pump

Hi David,

Like you, we were only too grateful to get a pump for our 7 year old and
didn't get to shop around ourselves.  He uses a Medtronic 522.  One
advantage is that Medtronic also offer continuous glucose sensors (which
"talk" to the pump) - although these are not commonly NHS funded.  We buy
our own for occasional rather than continual use.  Disadvantages of the
Medtronic are : you have to use their own infusion sets, not the
universal Luer Lock ones, it is not waterproof (this is the biggest
disadvantage for us), and it doesn't have the smallest increments for
basal rates (I think the Animas pump is better for these things).

However when all's said and done, all the pumps do more or less the same
thing, and are a huge improvement on MDI.  Good luck with yours!

Jackie.