[IPk] "Essential" criteria for a pump

Until I joined this discussion group, I wasn't aware that you could chose a
pump. My PTC provide Accu-chek Spirit (which I am still waiting for), and I
assumed that was it!

Di mentioned that (and I appreciate that people's requirements differ) she
would want a Luer lock set. What other things would users consider essential
(again, I realise that this will differ between users - but there will
probably be common things coming through)? and "nice-to-haves"?

I would guess (hope) that ALL pumps have the essentials - but obviously not
the Luer lock set facility.

I am probably getting too far into this - the devil finds work for idle hands
and all that! I suppose I could do some work - but Morocco is looming!

Any comments would be useful for a newbie (hopefully soon - I still have
problems sorting out control even with 12+ tests per day).

CheersDavid Hales > Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 14:28:10 +0100> From:
email @ redacted> To: email @ redacted> Subject: Re: [IPk]
realised I was being slightly facetious!) but the > point still stands. For
some people the choice of pump is not that > important (and I do know people
who've chosen the pump based on the > colour because they don't care about the
other criteria). If I was > choosing a pump for the first time, I'd probably
go for the one that > looked the nicest since I don't actually care about the
other criteria, > apart from the fact that I'd prefer a pump with a Luer lock
(but I > wouldn't have known that till I'd tried the Medtronic pumps and found
I > don't like the non-Luer lock sets). An esteemed friend of mine (who >
shall remain nameless, but some of you may have heard the story) chose > his
first pump (around 12 years ago now, when there was little choice of > pumps)
based on the fact that he preferred Minimed's website to > Disetronic's (they
were the only two options). He was paying for his > pump himself as well.> For
some people, the choice of pump is really important, but for some > people,
it's really not a big deal.> > For my next pump, I would really like one with
Luer lock sets. However I > can see it being a fight to explain to them why
this is so important > (for me, the luer lock sets were just so much easier to
use and I found > it far easier to fill the reservoirs; also, it's easier to
reuse the > reservoirs) as I can just see the PCT saying "it's not the sets,
it's > you, you're not doing it right".> > I wonder if people do get a choice
of hearing aids? I wouldn't be > surprised if they don't. My friend who lost
his leg through cancer (and > was very fit and active, actually a former dance
partner of mine) didn't > get any choice in his artificial leg......he was in
agony for a long > time until he discovered that he could get a different
design, although > he kept taking it back and they would shave bits off it and
so on!> Di> > > > Jackie Jacombs wrote:> > Hi Di> >> >> >> > One hopes the
choice of a pump in not down to it colour alone!!! LOL I cant> see> > this
preference swaying the PCT (giggling here)> > I agree that the pump one
chooses is very important and as one has to live> with> > it for so many
years, it should be the right one for that patient. It might> be> > important
to have the right sort of infusion sets as well as these are the> > invasive
bit which you are "stuck with" all day long its very important that> >
patients get a choice.> >> >> > I assume that people with digital hearing aids
get a choice and I know that> > they can be very expensive.> >> >> >> >> >
HELP or to subscribe/unsubscribe/change list versions,> contact:
HELP@insulin-pumpers.org