RE: [IPk] Medtronic offering free pump!!!

Hi Di

I have a friend with two deaf daughters and they get a choice and the hearing
aids are quite a lot of money comparable with a pump.  Though of course there
isn't the additional cost of the consumables only batteries and repairs which
dont add a lot on the running costs.

Have you thought about using the adaptor/reservoirs so that you can use other
types of infusion sets??

Jackie

> Hi Jackie
> I agree (I guess you realised I was being slightly facetious!) but the
> point still stands. For some people the choice of pump is not that
> important (and I do know people who've chosen the pump based on the
> colour because they don't care about the other criteria). If I was
> choosing a pump for the first time, I'd probably go for the one that
> looked the nicest since I don't actually care about the other criteria,
> apart from the fact that I'd prefer a pump with a Luer lock (but I
> wouldn't have known that till I'd tried the Medtronic pumps and found I
> don't like the non-Luer lock sets). An esteemed friend of mine (who
> shall remain nameless, but some of you may have heard the story) chose
> his first pump (around 12 years ago now, when there was little choice of
> pumps) based on the fact that he preferred Minimed's website to
> Disetronic's (they were the only two options). He was paying for his
> pump himself as well.
> For some people, the choice of pump is really important, but for some
> people, it's really not a big deal.
>
> For my next pump, I would really like one with Luer lock sets. However I
> can see it being a fight to explain to them why this is so important
> (for me, the luer lock sets were just so much easier to use and I found
> it far easier to fill the reservoirs; also, it's easier to reuse the
> reservoirs) as I can just see the PCT saying "it's not the sets, it's
> you, you're not doing it right".
>
> I wonder if people do get a choice of hearing aids? I wouldn't be
> surprised if they don't. My friend who lost his leg through cancer (and
> was very fit and active, actually a former dance partner of mine) didn't
> get any choice in his  artificial leg......he was in agony for a long
> time until he discovered that he could get a different design, although
> he kept taking it back and they would shave bits off it and so on!
> Di
>

> Jackie Jacombs wrote:
> > Hi Di
> >

 > > One hopes the choice of a pump in not down to it colour alone!!! LOL I cant
> see
> > this preference swaying the PCT  (giggling here)
>  > I agree that the pump one chooses is very important and as one has to live
> with
 > > it for so many years, it should be the right one for that patient. It might
> be
> > important to have the right sort of infusion sets as well as these are the
 > > invasive bit which you are "stuck with" all day long its very important
that
> > patients get a choice.
> >

> >   I assume that people with digital hearing aids get a choice and I
> know that
> > they can be very expensive.
> >

> > Jackie
> .

---
Virus Database (VPS): 080708-0, 08/07/2008
Tested on: 09/07/2008 14:51:47