Re: [IPk] Near-continuous monitoring of something that isn't blood glucose

Hi Pat

No NICE Technology Appraisal of continuous glucose monitoring yet.
Technically one should  refer simply to 'glucose' when talking about
values displayed on current-generation CGM devices, as they measure
interstitial fluid rather than blood (they do not measure "blood
glucose" per se).

For information on how the funding may be available on a case-by-case
basis, do contact the manufacturers, and keep your ear to the ground.
Perhaps contact Caroline Batistoni off-list as she may know more
(email @ redacted).

At this point, in my opinion, it is too early for NICE to do a
technical appraisal of CGM and we're fortunate they haven't attempted
it yet. Per the health economics analyses and outcomes data that NICE
must use, CGM devices available today would not show sufficient
benefit to justify the cost on a grand scale. Those of us who use CGM
can vouch personally for what a difference it makes in our diabetes
control and quality of life, but - just as it took the DCCT to prove
that intensive diabetes management can improve diabetes outcomes -
landmark trial results will be key for CGM to receive a positive
opinion and robust guidance from NICE.

Pumps were covered by PCTs on a case-by-case basis for some time
before the evidence base was compelling enough for a thorough
assessment by the NHS, and I think the same situation is likely to
unfold for CGM. CGM technology is advancing rapidly, and the outcomes
trials are underway so it could be a shorter journey to "yes, it's on
the NHS" for CGM than we witnessed for pumps.

Melissa
Type 1 15+ years; MiniMed pumper 7.5 years; Animas pumper 4.5 years;
CGM (self-funded) 20 months