[IPk] Newspaper article Bath Area

NURSE STRUCK OFF AFTER COVER-UP OF BLUNDER

10:00 - 03 July 2008

A nurse has been struck off after an incident at the Royal United Hospital in
 Bath.A misconduct hearing heard that a diabetes sufferer wept and thought he
was
 going to die after the nurse wrongly injected him with a potentially lethal
dose
of insulin.

Jacques-Yvon Deenmamode, aged 55, told the misconduct hearing he had been tired
when he gave the man 50 units of the drug in a "moment of madness".

He then tried to cover up his mistake by not telling colleagues at the RUH what
had happened, or filling out an incident report.

Colleagues spotted the error when the patient - called Patient A for the
 purposes of the hearing - went into hypoglycaemic shock, a condition caused by
lack of blood sugar.

Fortunately he made a full recovery but Deenmamode, of Inverness, was sacked.

Deenmamode admitted Nursing and Midwifery Council charges related to the
incident.

He said: "I am fully aware of my failings and I can genuinely say that I regret
and apologise for putting all concerned, including Patient A, in such a
compromising situation.

"This was an isolated incident in a moment of lapsed concentration. My previous
record is impeccable."

 Deenmamode told the hearing he made the error at around 7am at the end of a
busy
nightshift.

 After the incident, he was sacked from the RUH. He subsequently worked in a
care
home in Bristol but was dismissed from there.

He moved to Inverness to work for a nursing agency, and had been offered a job
at a hospital in Scotland, had the hearing not gone against him.

A spokeswoman for the RUH said Deenmamode was dismissed because he failed to
report the error he had made in wrongly administering insulin to a patient.

"The trust considers the fact that not only did this ex-member of staff make an
error in giving a patient the wrong drug, but also that he deliberately failed
to report what he had done, to be extremely serious and he was therefore
dismissed following a full investigation.

"The trust has worked hard to create a culture where staff are able to talk
about their mistakes.

"We also monitor closely the extra shifts/hours that all nurses are working in
order to prevent getting over-tired."

Kind Regards

 Jackie Jacombs, mum of Sasha aged 14, diagnosed with diabetes in 1999 at the
age
of 4 years.  Now using Paradigm 712 pump. Attends Gloucester Royal Hospital
where there are about 18 children on pumps, Sasha has an identical  twin sister
Rebecca, both twins have coeliac, I have two older girls, Nicki and Danni,
husband Terry

---
Virus Database (VPS): 080704-0, 04/07/2008
Tested on: 04/07/2008 11:47:30