From: Pat Reynolds <email @ redacted>
To: email @ redacted
Sent: Wednesday, 2 July, 2008 10:31:59 PM
Subject: [IPk] Well, I'm back ...

Well, I'm back, as Sam Gamgee says at the end of the Lord of the Rings.

Nothing as final as the final book of the trilogy, in my case, though.

It's been nearly a year since I posted/received, so some explanation is
in order to those of you who wonder where I went, and those who don't
know who I am!

I used to post a lot, but about a year ago I decided to desubscribe for
a bit.

The main prompt at the time was that I was going to Japan for a long
holiday, and since so many people know where I live, I didn't want that
advertised here.

A secondary consideration was that my hands were agony.

And a third was that I really needed to concentrate on my PhD.

Sooo.... now I'm back.

Japan was wonderful.  Even though my pump had a major hissy fit en route
to Heathrow, and Di was an angel and tried to get me support, but in the
end I just lived with a pump that died every time I touched the battery
lid.

I had three hand operations.

I moved house twice: husband's job relocated to York, I decided to stay
in Surrey but not to face the commute from Ash Vale any long
e disabled
rail card comes in very handy).  He works every other week from the
second bedroom in the flat.

And, last Friday, I handed in my PhD thesis.

Alas, I can't join you on the 18th as (yet again, nothing changes) it
clashes with the Surrey Archaeology Society council meeting.

More about me (for those who are still bothering to read this):
I've been a pumper for 8 years.  Currently with a Cozmo.  I work full
time as Surrey's Heritage Manager, have just finished a part-time PhD in
archaeology, and am looking forwards to getting back to Pumpers, more
stable bgs (I went hypo twice a day during the final week before
submission), and am planning to use my newly reclaimed freetime to read
more speculative fiction and do some other stuff ... I've not decided
what yet.

Cheers,

Pat

(ps the cats are in Woking, and I missed you for advice on settling them
in, June!)
--
Pat Reynolds

It may look messy now ...
        ... but just you come back in 500 years time (T. Pratchett).