RE: [IPk] Re: High bgs 2 hours after meal

Like I said - the pool of knowledge and experience in this forum is
brilliant!

It's reassuring me no end that there will be helpful suggestions/advice to
overcome any problems I am likely to get.

I'l stop expressing my amazement and gratitude now, not wanting to waste any
more of your valuable reading time - but it will still exist as I read
on...David Hales

> From: email @ redacted> Subject: [IPk] Re: High bgs 2 hours after meal> To:
email @ redacted> Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 14:20:22 +0300> > Insulin
Pumpers is made possible by your tax deductible contributions.> Your donation
of $10, $25, or more... just $1 or $2 per month is > needed so that Insulin
Pumpers can continue to serve you and the rest> of the diabetes community.
Please visit:> > http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/donate.shtml> > Your annual
contribution will eliminate this header from your IP mail> > Hi Laura,> > It's
hard to be sure, but it sounds as if you are> absorbing the carbohydrates you
eat faster than the> insulin is working - so your blood glucose levels> shoots
up, and only later the insulin you took for> the meal is bringing down your
blood glucose. Some> possible things that might help are (i) take the> bolus a
bit earlier before you start eating (I find> less of a post meal high if I
take my breakfast> bolus about 15-20 minutes before eating), (ii) try>
changing to a different insulin which might act> faster in you (various people
have found differences> between Humalog, Novorapid and Apidra, but not the>
same in all people), (iii) try using a superbolus -> the basic idea of the
superbolus is this: for> example in your case, it looks as if you are>
bolusing the right amount of insulin for the carbs> you eat, but it is acting
too late - the superbolus> is a way of getting more insulin acting sooner ->
currently in the 2-3 hours from the time you take> your pre-meal bolus, you
get the bolus (say 5 units> insulin) which is injected at the beginning, and
the> basal (say 0.8 units/hour) spread gradually over the> time, so over 3
hours, you have a total of 5 + 0.8 +> 0.8 + 0.8 = 7.4 units of insulin, and it
seems as if> over the whole 3 hours, you are getting the correct> amount, but
you need more of it to act sooner - one> way to do this is to take not only 5
units as bolus,> but say 6.5 units as bolus, and reduce the basal> accordingly
over the next 3 hours to 0.3 units/hour> - so over the whole 3 hours you get
the same total> amount of insulin, but you get more of it early on,> so the
effect should happen faster, and no, it is> not a crime not to inject exactly
the correct amount> for the carbs you eat and to switch between basal> and
bolus (insulin in your body doesn't have little> labels saying basal or bolus,
and your body doesn't> know the difference and will just use it as needed>
when it becomes available). I started doing this on> the suggestion of my
diabetes consultant, and it> works very well for me, particularly for meals
with> a lot of carbs and little fat or protein - not> advised for a meal of a
lot of protein and fat. For> a more official and formal and detailed
explanation> (and if you want to see that this isn't just my> stupid idea)
see> http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_technology/super_bolus.php.> > Good
luck> > Nanette> >Hello, i've only been on an insulin pump for 2> weeks now
but i've always had> >this problem, even on injections. After i have a> meal,
my blood shoots up> >sometimes right up to the 20's and particularly in> the
afternoon it's still> >high at 2 hours after the meal, usually around 16.> It
always comes back down> >by tea time though. I'm really not sure what i can>
do to help this but it's> >really frustrating cos i'm trying very hard to
keep> my levels at a decent> >level to improve my hbA1c and these aren't
gonna> help.> >Thankyou> >Laura> .>