Re: [IPk] RE:Softball Challenge

Hi Ian
Nothing to do with diabetes (much though I would have like to raise some
money for diabetes-related charities!).
The whole reason we did it was for Christie's Hospital, a cancer
hospital in Manchester. One of the players in our softball league died
of cancer a few years ago so we've been doing things to raise money for
Christie's ever since. Please note that I'm not soliciting sponsorship
(email me privately on that issue).

Well it is over anyway and I am stil alive! I played 21 hours in total,
catching a whole 1 hour's sleep during the night! We camped next to the
softball pitch but due to a lack of players we couldn't take much time
off so I only had a 2-hour break between 2-4am, during which time by the
time I'd wound down etc I only got an hour's sleep. Getting out of the
tent at 4am in the pitch black and pi**ing rain was not exactly fun, i
can tell you, but the amazing camaraderie kept us all going!
My blood sugars behaved amazingly well throughout the 30 hours. My
highest BG was 12.3 and my lowest was 3.3 (just before the final hour of
playing). I checked roughly every hour and corrected as necessary. There
was always loads of food and drink available and I had 6 small bottles
of Lucozade at the ready, though I only drank 2 of them in total. I had
small snacks every couple of hours (things like fruit, mini-Mars bars
etc) and felt absolutely fine. i did absolutely nothing different with
my basal rates, decided it was easier to use food/drink as necessary as
I needed to make sure I ate plenty anyway, and just took small
correction boluses when needed. A lot of people were asking how I
managed to cope with my diabetes, so I was very proud to tell them that
I was doing absolutely fine, especially with the pump.
We finished at 4pm last night, I fell asleep at 7pm soon after getting
home and showering (didn't even eat any dinner) and woke up at 7.30 this
morning feeling fine and not even stiff at all! I did lower my basal
rate last night after playing by 0.1 unit and woke up this morning with
a BG of 3.5.

Di