Re: [IPk] more alarms!

Hi,

I wouldn't normally chime in on a Medtronic battery question but I have a
couple of thoughts on the very short battery life issue. If the batteries
installed have lost any potency since manufacture or are defective,  the
pump will get very little power from them. Even though the expiry date on
the batteries may be years away, if the batteries have been stored
improperly before reaching your hands they may have a very short life. Did
the batteries that failed all come from the same package, or from the same
shop/same purchase? I once bought batteries for my old MM507C that lasted
only 4 days before dying - clearly those were defective.

Also, a pump's battery power detection system is not necessarily flawless.
It is possible that there was nothing wrong with the batteries but the
pump's power detection system developed a fault and thought the batteries
were dead.

As for the previous discussion re ESD, the phenomenon of electrostatic
discharge causing pump malfunctions is well documented.
http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/d_0j_218.htm
www.medtronic.com/downloadablefiles/Paradigm512Contraindications&risks.pdf
http://www.annals.org/cgi/content/full/126/9/746

Hope this helps,

Melissa
Type 1 13+ years; MiniMed pumper 7.5 years; Animas pumper 2.5 years