Re: [IPk] American cooking..help!

Hi

I've got a nice cookbook that I'd like to use, but it's an American
book
and
I don't know a lot of the ingredients. Not sure if theres a Brit
alternative
or whether its stuff I can't get here. I would be grateful if anyone
could
'tranlate' these for me!!

shortening
hydrogenated cooking fat -- the stuff you use to make pie crust if you
don't use butter. The characteristics are different than butter for
cooking pasteries but otherwise you could substitute.

zucchini
a green squash that looks like a cucumber .. italian squash

cornstarch
flour made from corn -- white powdery -- typically used as a thickner
in cooking

cornmeal
fine ground polenta

cornsyrup -- high frutose liquid sweetner -- clear, quite thick --
tastleless except for "sweet".

American  cheese
really mild cheddar like cheese that tastes pretty much like nothing at
all it's almost not cheese at all in my opinion