RE: [IPk] American cooking..help!

Small note re cornsyrup: where I am living in the US now I'd have to make a
special trip to a special shop to get golden syrup so a few months ago I
tried using cornsyrup to make flapjack. It didn't work. Cornsyrup is not as
rich as golden syrup :( . I don't think honey would be a great substitute
for cornsyrup as cornsyrup is a lot more 'sticky' and much more concentrated
in its sweetness than honey. But if I had easy access to golden syrup I
would try using golden syrup in place of cornsyrup to see if I got a better
flavour that way.

If you want to track down some American-style cornsyrup, the most popular
brand is Karo, which is pronounced 'KAY-ro'. I have seen it in some
speciality shops in the UK and you may be able to order it on-line. If your
recipe comes out too sweet when you use golden syrup and you want to try it
with cornsyrup, you just might be able to find Karo. (Cornsyrup is
technically awful for you, but the best pecan pie recipes call for a lot of
cornsyrup and I just can't resist a good homemade pecan pe....)

Elizabeth's translations were spot-on and I'm trying to think of other
things that you might encounter. Oh, bacon!! American bacon is much
different from real bacon. It is thin and crispy and mostly fat striated
with the smallest amount of meat. Most recipes you could make that call for
bacon would probably be better with real bacon so I wouldn't worry about
trying to find American bacon. Also unsweetened baking chocolate - I had a
hell of a time trying to find unsweetened baking chocolate in the UK.
Unsweetened baking chocolate is cocoa and fat, no sugar added, in a block
like you buy Dairy Milk. A lot of American chocolate dessert recipes call
for it. The most popular brand is Baker's. You would never want to put some
unsweetened chocolate in your mouth and eat it as it's too bitter. I looked
high and low for it and eventually found it, totally overpriced, in an
import speciality shop in London. I resigned myself to making English
chocolate dessert recipes. English recipes are written so you start with
chocolate that is at least a little bit sweet even if very dark.

Hope this is of slight interest,

Melissa
Type 1 13+ years; MiniMed pumper 7.5 years; Animas pumper 2.5 years; lived
in the UK ~3 years; American 25 years (will be happy to send people anything
American they want in exchange for GBP deposited to my Barclays account!)