Re: [IPk] Re: Alarms/Insurance

In message <email @ redacted>,
Stuart Chadwick <email @ redacted> writes
>Being an IT guy or more correctly an ICT guy, we have
>elastic straps that have a metal plate on them that
>you wear on your wrist then attached to a stretchy
>cable that is connected to a special plug that goes
>into a 13amp socket (this earth's you while you are
>wearing the srap). If we need to carry out emergency
>maintance and havnt got one of these to hand we
>usually just make sure we touch a radiator or leave a
>pc pluged in but turned off at the socket and make
>sure we touch the case.

Thanks Stuart - I might have guessed that there would be a techie
solution to static!

Getting in and out of cars is a particularly good way to build up a
charge (and, allegedly, blow up petrol stations).  Thinking about Tim's
multiple failures between the US and Uttoxeter, I wonder if he was in a
series of nicely insulated environments with artificial fibre carpet
(and if he did his in-flight exercises, moving his feet around on said
carpet). And did the loos all have automatic-water taps????

Of course, in-flight, there's no way one could (or would want to) be
earthed.

I can see myself having to explain why I am anxiously looking around
airports for radiators now!

Cheers,

Pat

--