[IPk] Re: Alarms/Insurance

Pat,

Being an IT guy or more correctly an ICT guy, we have
elastic straps that have a metal plate on them that
you wear on your wrist then attached to a stretchy
cable that is connected to a special plug that goes
into a 13amp socket (this earth's you while you are
wearing the srap). If we need to carry out emergency
maintance and havnt got one of these to hand we
usually just make sure we touch a radiator or leave a
pc pluged in but turned off at the socket and make
sure we touch the case.

I remember having an inspection of the anti-static kit
at work and the guy carrying out the inspection had a
meter to measure static, It was amazing the charge you
can build up in the body just by walking on carpet, or
sitting on an office wheely chair and using it to
propell yourself across the office, it wasnt enough to
even feel when you discharged yourself, but apparently
it was twice as much as was needed to plow the CPU /
Memory chips in modern PC's.

On the Insurance issue, I have also been told by my
hospital that when I get my pump, I will need to
insure it as the trust wont, even though it still
belongs to them.
I will be following this thread with interest, as I
dont know if my contents insurance would cover it and
if not, where on earth do you get insurance for a pump
from, Hey I spot a gap in the market, seriously though
if this does prove that we need to take out seperate
insurance for the pumps, could we not approach one
company who would give a donation to Input/Diabetes UK
for each policy they sign up?

I would like to know what people with other conditions
are asked to do when they have hospital equipment, i.e
Morphone Syringe Drivers, Nebulisers (probably spelt
wrong).

Stuart.
27, type 1 17years, MDI of Lantus and Humalog, but not
for much longer ;-)