Re: [IPk] Re: ip-uk-digest V3 #558-Alarms/Insurance

Hi Kirsty,

You wrote In message <email @ redacted>, email @ redacted
writes
>had a problem with alarms yesterday. I'm on the minimed 508 pump and  changed
>my batteries last week, only to get another alarm to change my batteries
 > yesterday (I use the minimed batteries and they usually last 6wks) on
replacing
>the batteries the screen would not return to 'normal' and I had to reset the
>time/date/dosage etc (alarm E-01). Everything seems to be working fine now,
>but  when I rang the helpline to check (never had to ring them before) I was
 > told it was static electricity and to 'earth myself'. Has anyone else had
this
>problem  because their explanation sounds a bit odd to me!

A group of us had it all at the same time a number of years ago - it was
quite similar weather.  If it happens a couple of times, get them to
check it over.

Also, earth yourself after getting out of a car.

>Also, I have read on the boards that people put their pumps on their house
 >insurance. I checked with my hospital whether I need to do this and was told-
>yes. I know this probably sounds stupid but why do I need to insure NHS
> equipment? If I didn't insure it..would I not get a replacement or would
>another
 > pump obtained through insurance..be mine (and not hospitals). I'm getting a
bit
> confused!!

I agree - it's up to the NHS to replace it, although they might get a
bit miffed.  I checked out the situation with hearing aids (far more
users, far more likely to be left in hotel rooms and dropped down
lavatories), and there the NHS budgets for a certain "premature
replacement" each year.

On the other hand, do you need the hassle?  But before paying anything
for insurance, you might want to consider the risks involved: how likely
_are_ you to have it lost, stolen, or damaged.  You should also consider
whether it is already covered in your policy (there may be a round sum
for household goods, which, when you add yours up, has quite a margin
into which a pump will fit).

I would also check out whether your insurer wants to be told if any of
your household contents belong to someone else (ask in a nice bland
way).

Cheers,

Pat
(who doesn't insure her pump)