RE: [IPk] Software

Hi Seos,

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/virtualpc/virtualpc.aspx?pid=howtobuy

USD 249 is not cheap, but it is cheaper than buying a whole new computer. I
would contact Apple UK/Ireland to ask where one can purchase Virtual PC in
the UK and Ireland as the Virtual PC link from microsoft.co.uk redirects to
US-only shopping options (not very helpful!).

Your current Apple computer can't run the One Touch software unless you buy
the Virtual PC package. The Parallels software (see
http://www.parallels.com/) works ONLY with INTEL CHIP Apples. The INTEL CHIP
Apples are the brand-spanking-new iMac, Mac Mini, MacBook and MacBook Pro.
Those are the G5 Macs. If you have a G4 you do not have an Intel chip.

The technical requirements for using the OneTouch software include: "a
Windows.-compatible computer with:
    * 266 MHz, Intel. Pentium. 2 or equivalent (higher is recommended)
    * Minimum 128 MB of RAM (higher will help overall performance)
    * Minimum free hard disk space 100-200 MB during installation 100 MB for
after installation
Microsoft. Windows. 98 Second Edition, Windows. NT 4.0 Workstation (SP6 or
above), Windows. 2000 Professional (SP4 or above), Windows. Me, and Windows.
XP (SP2 or above) Home and Professional (SP2 or above)".
This means you have to create a Windows environment on your computer for the
Lifescan software to work. It will not work with the Mac OS X alone.

To summarise:  as you have a G4 Mac now, have a look at the Virtual PC
package - contact Apple UK/Ireland for advice on where to buy it. If you get
a new G5 Mac with the INTEL CHIP, get the Parallels software and buy a
license for Windows and you're set.

Another option is to ask your GP if he or she would be willing to run the
software on a computer at the practice and then you would not have to deal
with putting any new software on your computer!

Hope that helps

Melissa