Re: [IPk] Steven Sexton [Diabetes-Support]

Hi All

I know I don't post very often but as along time member I wish to thank
Jackie for  posting the message about my accident and my thanks to
everybody  who sent me best wishes.

The good news is that after 5 weeks in Nevill Hall Hospital is that I am
now home recovering. I am still having to wear a high tech space age
upper body brace to support my back/spine when moving around. I am able
to move around on crutches - which is fun :-)    For the record I ended
up with broken ribs, collar bone, broken left leg, crushed spine (T10)
and a few other bits that have been damaged, bruised or broken. It was
also touch and go as to whether I was going to survive or not.

The good news is my pump survived this rather nasty accident, despite
being on the same side as the impact. For 10 days in ITU I was on a
sliding scale insulin (pump) regime but once I transferred to the Ortho
ward and a discussion with the DSN I want back on to my old pump. The
thought of going back onto injections after 5 years on the pump did fill
me with some dread - particularly not to sure what dose to give and the
lack of fine control the pump gives. The DSN at the hospital was very
supportive of me being on the pump, although they don't current;y have
any pump users there but do have a number of people interested.

Establishing the basal profile was going to be fun, as my normal;
profile wasn't going to be too much. The aim was to end up with BG's
between 6 and 9, which was achieved by starting off with a very flat
profile of 22 units for a 24 hr period. Over time my body the profile
changed to meet my needs and the fact that I was becoming slightly more
active, well hopping from the bed to the chair.

Over the course of the week or two it was easy enough to make
changes,either temporary or permanent changes to the profile to meet my
needs and keep the best control I could under the circumstances. I did
have the odd low which was dealt with by milk and biscuits and I did
have the odd high - miscalculated the carb content on some hospital foods.

All in all being on the pump under these extreme circumstances was
beneficial and let me feel I was in control.

A special thanks to Mark at Roche for sending down all the supplies I
needed so quickly, as I only had a couple of spare infusion stets with
me, particularly as I didn't have the hospital address or the name of
the ward I was on.

I now think it is several months of slow recovery

Kind regards

Steven Sexton

Jackie Jacombs wrote:

> Hi All
>

 > I know that some of you know Steven Sexton, who runs Diabetes Insight. Steven
> has been seriously injured in a road accident when riding his motorbike.
>
> The following message was sent to the Diabetes Insight mailing list yesterday
> from Helen Robbins.
>

> Jackie

Needless