RE: [IPk] bolus wizard

Hi Adrian

 I never thought to use it to bolus for food only! Though we do seem to have to
alter the bolus ratio quite often as Sasha is just hitting puberty and her
insulin needs vary such a lot due to hormonal changes.  When we get a spell of
high BG levels we have to change the basal and bolus ratios.

We use the table from Diabetes Mall to calculate the duration of the bolus on
board when correcting,  Well I do.  Terry does it in his head.

We too bought an UltraSmart but like you got fed up of putting in all the data.
Far too time consuming!

Jackie

> Hi Jackie / Pat
>
> It might be better to split the bolus function in to two parts:
>
> Bolus For Food
> The duration of insulin action doesn't matter -you key in the carbs and the
> pump works out how much insulin. I believe the Paradigm, Cozmo and Animas
> pumps all do this.
>
> Correcting a High Blood Glucose Value
> Shortcoming with the Paradigm is that the action is set at 8 hours but it
> uses a curve to emulate the absorption in most people. So you can use this
> figure to come up with a sensible number to correct by. Sadly you need to
> know how long ago you last bloused to avoid stacking.
>
> The shortcoming with the Cozmo is that it uses a flat line graph to show
> absorption based on the duration you have set. So for instance if you have
> it set at 4 hours - 30 minutes after you have bolused 10 units the pump will
> assume that you have only 8.75 units left when in reality most people will
> have a lot more left. At 3 hours it will assume you have 2.5 units left when
> in reality most people will have less left.
>
> The other problem with correcting blood glucose levels while or shortly
> after eating is that none of the pumps know what you have eaten (they know
> the carbs but not the GI or in fact how the food is absorbed in you - as GI
> gives an indication but not a scientific formula of absorption in everyone)
>
> So for a pump to be ideal it would need to use the action curve of the
> Paradigm, the customisable duration of the Cozmo and allow you to input the
> carbohydrates and how long it takes to be absorbed in you. Unfortunately the
> more customisable things are the more room there is for error and the more
> complex the pump becomes to use. I wonder how many people use all the
> features of the UltraSmart - I for one found it too time consuming and gave
> up after a few weeks!
>
> Adrian-----
> contact: HELP@insulin-pumpers.org

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0629-1, 19/07/2006
Tested on: 21/07/2006 16:06:26