[IPk] Newly diagnosed children

I'm a paediatric nurse and i work with children who have diabetes - as well
as many other conditions.

We can go months without seeing a newly diagnosed child, but in the last
 week we have had 5 ages ranging from 2 - 15 (2 have been so poorly at
diagnosis,
that they have needed intnsive care). As someone who has been on a pump for 5
 months, and seeing the benefits, i am saddened to say, all have gone on to
twice  daily Novomix or Mixtard. I, personally have never used twice daily
 insulin. I went onto basal / bolus regime after having my pancreas removed.
With
the  experience i have now, i wonder if people do manage to get good control
on 2  injections? No children - or adults, at our local hospital are on pumps,
even  though it is a big teaching hospital. Our paeds endo seems to favour
twice daily  regimes. We don't see many children on basal / bolus regimes.

Sue