RE: [IPk] accu chek infusion sets

Hi Jason

Sorry to hear that you and your son are having such a difficult time.  Melissa
has made some good suggestions.

 A lot of parents on the UK CWD parents list had teething problems when
beginning
pumping and some had a lot of trouble with Quick Sets.  You cannot see whether
or not the cannular has gone in and one parent had three Quick Sets in
succession bend, they were folded over against the skin.  There are other
 infusion set that you could try that are less likely to come out or to bend.
The
 tender is one of them. As Melissa said it may be that there is something on the
skin which is stopping the infusion sets from adhering properly.   I hope that
things will sort themselves out.  Many parents have problems in the beginning
 and question whether the pump is the right way to go but after a few months
they
find that everything settles down.

The advantages of using the tenders are that you can see if the infusion set is
actually inserted under the skin.
and of course the metal infusion sets dont kink up against the skin in the same
way

Jackie

>  My 16 year old son has both diabetes and downs syndrome. He has been
> on a pump
> for seven weeks. We are struggling to both get the cannulas in and
> also when in
> to keep them stuck in. He is scared of having the cannulas inserted
> and has been
> having most inserted at hospital.We have found quite a few have not gone into
> his tummy but are merely bent and resting against him. Also we have found
> difficulty in stopping the cannulas from loosing there stickyness and coming
> out. He is scared of having the cannulas put in and having to try and keep
> coaxing him to have more cannulas in is both stressfull for us and him and
> wondered if any one had any thoughts on what might be causing the problems.
> .

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0628-1, 10/07/2006
Tested on: 11/07/2006 09:14:53