SimpleChoice Patch was RE: [IPk] Chopper Lump Crowd

Hi Stuart,

Good job spotting that. I have seen the SimpleChoice patch set at a couple
of diabetes conferences in the US. It is actually rather horrible in real
life. Imagine several different steel needles attached to the same piece of
plaster about the size of a 10p coin. Yes, the needles do not go in very
deep, that's how they get away with calling it a 'patch'. Still, the first
adjective that came to mind when I saw the SimpleChoice patch set was
'barbaric'. Imagine if 4 of the needles were going into skin that didn't
mind them but you had a sensitive nerve ending where the last one or two
were headed. It would hurt like a *&$tch, no doubt. Or perhaps you'd have
some scar tissue in an area where a couple of the needles were supposed to
stick in. You'd get very little insulin absorption from those spots but the
others would be decent - yet does any of us want to live that scenario?

I would much rather use a Rapid-D set if I really needed a steel needle
infusion set. The SimpleChoice patch concept may someday be refined into
something quite desirable but for now I hope the UK market can get access to
the Inset (made by Unomedical, see http://www.infusion-set.com) sooner.

Also, in general, SimpleChoice's great claim to fame in the US (for it is an
American outfit) is offering infusion sets and knock-off
cartridges/reservoirs at lower prices than the 'brand name'. For better or
for worse, the insulin pump market seems to be one in which you are likely
to get what you pay for.

Melissa
Type 1 13+ years; MiniMed pumper 7.5 years; Animas pumper 2.5 years

----Original Message Follows----
From: Stuart Chadwick <email @ redacted>
[snip]
While at the meeting I mentioned that I had seen a new
Infusuion set on the net somewhere, I found the
website, it dosent look as if it available yet, but
you can see and read the splurge about it.

http://www.mysimplechoice.com/prod-patch.htm
[snip]