Re: [IPk] Re: broken pump

Hi Jackie,
Its good that Sasha isn't bothered about her dad going with her, Paul is
more like beckie he is really bothered what people think if he hadn't have
been we would almost certainly have gone.
 We had a meeting with school before he went and told them all the extra
things that go with a child on a pump (at that stage I had told Paul he
probably wouldn't go) but they were so enthusiastic and nothing was a
problem that I changed my mind and said he could go. A few days later school
rang and wanted me to go in as they had changed their minds and now didn't
want him to go. I was really upset about it, their compromise that one of us
to go with him and stay in the nearby village and paul to sleep with us
overnight. I knew this would be no good for paul. After alot of discussion
between us DSN and teachers involved it was decided to let Paul go. They
have taken away diabetic children before but were not aware of ketoacidosis
would you believe!! We wrote an A4 sheet of guidelines for them and they
were told to ring us every night so we could discuss things that had
happened. Apart from a couple of dodgy moments (thank goodness he had a 2nd
pump) everything went ok.
He learnt a great lesson in life that he can cope with the pump on his own
and we also learnt the same lesson. I have promised Darrell I won't be half
as bad next time he goes away!
Paul also goes to a big school (8 forms in year 7) he was chosen to
represent school in an inter school athletics day the other week. I assigned
a teacher to watch him and look after his pump whilst he competed. He took
part in 100mtrs, relay and high jump. Paul said it was quite funny cos his
sports teacher ran faster than him to the finish line so he could reconnect
when he finished the race. He got two 2nd place and a 1st place!
When he went on the rollar coaster last year at the theme park he kept his
pump deep in his pocket and stayed connected. Not sure if we were right in
letting him do that!
Karen