From: Melissa P. Ford
Date: 07/06/06 18:26:07
To: email @ redacted
Subject: [IPk] Cozmo vs Paradigm basal delivery WAS Adrian

Sue,

There is a difference between the Cozmo and the Paradigm that might have led
you to think that the Cozmo offers smaller basal dose increments. The motor
of the Cozmo splits the total amount per hour into 20 microdoses (one every
3 mins.). The Paradigm motor delivers 0.05 u. per microdose, frequency
dependent on the dose per hour.

Example:
1) Cozmo pump delivering 0.75 u per hour: 20 microdoses (= 1 every 3 min.)
of 0.37 or .038 (actual maths 0.375 - but pump not geared to deliver that as
far as I know)

2) Paradigm pump delivering 0.75 u per hour: 15 microdoses of 0.05 u (=1
every 4 mins.)

Thus there is a little difference between the delivery patterns of the
Paradigm and the Cozmo. The closer you get to 1.0 u/hr, the less significant
the differences between the Paradigm and the Cozmo or Animas pumps with
regard to basal dose delivery frequency.

Is that at all helpful?

Melissa
Type 1 13+ years; MiniMed pumper 7.5 years; Animas pumper 2.5 years