RE: [IPk] Temp rates

Hi June Sue et al

I have asked Terry to explain some of the things which happen when you set temp
basals using the Paradigm 512/712 pump and the way it rounds down.  I have
pasted what he has written below.  I dont think that it will help Sue and June
with their very small basal requirements.

The Paradigm Pump delivers basal insulin in increments of 0.05 units, so
basal rates can be set from 0.05 units per hour up to the maximum basal rate
per hour that you have set into the pump. (Sasha's maximum is currently 2
units per hour, I think you can set the maximum rate up to 15 units per hour
at least).

Temporary basal rates can be set at any percentage i.e. from 1% up to 999%
(I have not verified it goes this high, but it allows three figures so in
theory it could), however the pump will not allow you to set a temporary
basal which causes the rate to exceed the maximum basal rate set into the
pump. e.g. With Sasha's current highest rate of 0.75 per hour and the
maximum of 2.0 per hour, the highest temporary basal we could set is about
265%.

The temporary basal is also affected by the delivery in increments of 0.05,
and the rate is rounded down to the nearest 0.05 unit.
e.g. if the normal basal is 0.75 units a 50% temporary basal gives a rate of
0.375 but this would be rounded down to 0.35.

In some circumstances this means that a small percentage increase will not
make any difference to the rate. e.g. if the rate is 0.50 per hour, a
temporary basal of 105% would give a rate of 0.525 which would be rounded
down to 0.50 (no change).  With these figures a temporary rate of 110% would
be needed to reach 0.55 per hour.

Note that any temporary rate of less than 100% will produce a lower basal
because the rate is always rounded down. However because of the rounding,
different figures can produce the same end rate. e.g. if the rate is 0.75
per hour, temporary basals of 85% and 80% both result in a rate of 0.60 per
hour because of the rounding.

The two ways to check the result are:-

1. Do the arithmetic.

2. Set the temporary rate and review the status screen (press ESC). The
actual temporary basal rate, duration and time left is shown on the first
few lines of the status screen.

Finally, all basals whether normal or temporary are delivered in increments
of 0.05 units and because the Paradigm delivers basal in bursts every few
minutes over the hour, precise determination of the exact amount of basal
insulin in any hour is not possible if basal rates change during the hour
(e.g. if a temporary basal is set at 11:20, calculating how much basal
insulin is delivered in the hour from 11-12 will be approximate (but still
accurate to within 0.05 units).

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards

Terry Jacombs

Jackie Jacombs mum of Sasha aged 12, diagnosed 1999, twin sister Rebecca both
coeliac, two older girls, Nicki and Danni, husband Terry

> Hi
>
> As my main problem is the same as Sue's I have been interested to see this
> way of using the Paradigm to get unusual basal rates.  Can you tell me the
> lowest I would be able to set a basal for at night using percentages and
> temporary basal rates?
>
> The problem I see with this method is that from Jackie's booklet, it appears
> that the rate would have to be set every day or night to achieve this.  Am I
> correct?  If the rate is required permanently, it would appear very
> difficult to use this method.
>
> Sue do you think it would solve your problem?
>
> June

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0627-1, 05/07/2006
Tested on: 05/07/2006 17:55:58