Re: [IPk] RE: ip-uk-digest V2 #780 nelh - diabetes

it's criminal that MDI or testing more than once or twice per day or
 estimating carbs and adjusting accordingly is thought of as " exotic" or
unecessary.
Criminal also that if four times daily insulin whether with actrapid or short
 acting analgoues and insulatard or lantus or levemir, is inadequate it is the "
patients fault" or " inevitable" and that medics do not understand proper
 basal insulin substution (or are keeping it a closely guarded secret- musn't
let
the masses know about it) I know someone who works as a clinical assistant in
diabetes and had not heard of intensive MDI using short acting analogues and
insulatard bd. Trouble is there are numerous patients out thre who are in
 denial and resent injecting themselvs so much that it's hard to get them to do
it
twice per day. I think the way to judge a person who works in diabetes is too
see whether they can guage how much effort a patient is prepared to make and
teach them how to best fit D into their live accordingly whethe they use a
 conventional twice or four times daily regimen or seven times daily or a pump
or a
pump and injection combination