[IPk] Yet another diabetes disasterette

Sigh. Yet another diabetes disasterette last night.

My wife had been away for 2 days, and I took our 2 young boys off for
a picnic lunch and swim at our open-air swimming complex. Met up with
various friends also with kids which was great. Disconnected pump,
but my infusion set (Tender) fell off after a few hours in the pool.
But I had a spare one in my handbag which saved the day. 5:30pm we
decided to head into town and have a big group meal at a favourite
pub. I have a few beers. As food arrives, I bolus: no delivery. OUT
OF INSULIN. Sigh. And no spare insulin with me. I decide not to
abandon the meal and cycle home with the boys. I do the emergency
refill instead: disconnect the infusion set from my body, and from
the cartridge - keeping them level so no insulin runs out. Pull back
the plunger on the reservoir a few millimetres, screw tubing back
onto reservoir, and prime a few units to take up tension, then I
reconnect to my body and bolus for the meal. I'm now having the
insulin in the tubing and pushing it through with air. All
potentially dangerous, but it works.

Get home at 9:30pm by bike with our 2 boys in the bike trailer, and
BG was 2.7. So at least I knew I was getting my insulin. My wife got
home at 10pm, and we enjoyed a bottle of wine together. Hope we don't
sound like an overly alcoholic family...

John
--
mailto:email @ redacted
http://www.webshowcase.net/johnneale