Re: [IPk] 4 year old child new to insulin pump

In message <001201c473c2$fb8eb5a0$email @ redacted>, John Neal
<email @ redacted> writes
>Can anyone help? Obviously everyone is different, but does anyone out there
>have any knowledge of how quickly the bolused insulin (novorapid) 'kicks'
>into action and lowers bg's? Today, we waited 5 mins after bolusing .5 (half
>a unit) before the meal, in an attempt to lower bg's into range. We failed
>(again), Andrew had blood sugars of 24 mmols 2hours post food.

Five minutes!  Who told you there was going to be something observable
after five minutes!

The typical profile is that most of the activity is between one hour and
two hours after injecting.  So I would _expect_ to see
5pm 14
6pm 12
7pm  8
8pm  7

That's the kind of checking one does for a high.

Wonderfully, this kind of activity profile is what one also, normally,
sees for food.  There is usually a bit of a miss-match, which means
bolus and food are not taken at exactly the same time, or a prolonged
(or square) bolus or dual bolus is taken, or a snack is needed 4 or 5
hours after eating.

Best wishes,

Pat
--