Re: [IPk] Vitrectomy

Hi Mary
I had a vitrectomy to my right eye about 5 years ago. It was just before I
went on the pump so I can't comment on that part of it. But I can tell you
about the vitrectomy.

I woke up one morning and couldn't see out of my eye because I'd had a massive
bleed which hadn't cleared. I went to see my eye consultant and they ummed
and ahhed for a bit and decided to do the vitrectomy as it hadn't cleared
after a few days. They decided to go for a general anaesthetic because of the
fact that I had DM and also because they wanted to do a huge bunch of laser
treatment to both eyes at the same time, so they thought it would be better
to knock me out. I was booked in the following day, as they said the sooner
they did it the greater the chance of success. Now, they warned me that there
was quite a high chance of failure (something like 20%) and that if it
failed, I wouldn't regain sight in that eye. But since I couldn't see out of
it anyway, I didn't have much choice. The decision was mine, though.

The operation itself took several hours, but I can't tell you much about that
since I was asleep (obviously). When I came round my eye was all bandaged up
and hurt quite a bit. it felt as if I had an eye full of grit as well (that
was the stitches). I stayed in hospital for a couple of days and then they
took the bandage off and I was allowed home. Basically I had to rest for a
good week - even walking around hurt, and do did moving my eye, so I had to
try and keep it focused in one place. It hurt for around a week and the
gritty feeling was horrible. You could see the stitches in my eye if you
looked closely, but they gradually dissolved by themselves after about 10
days. Anyway, I think I took about 10 days off work and after that everything
was back to normal.  My sight returned (well, to the extent that I had before
the bleed), though it was a bit blurry for the first few days after the op.
Since then, everything has been great and I've not had any bleeds in that eye
since.  If I had to go through it again on my other eye, I would do it with
no hesitation. It all sounds a bit gory but it's not really that bad. I
assume if you had local anaesthetic it would be much easier, because I always
feel terrible for at least a week after having a general anaesthetic, and it
messes up my BGs no end.