Re: [IPk] Vitrectomy

Hi Mary

I haven't ever had a vitrectomy, but I *have* had a lot of surgery, both on
my ancient pump and on my current one (Minimed 507c). It may be peculiar to
here, or perhaps it's peculiar to me (I tend to be rather pushy with my
medicos), but I have never ever been asked to discontinue pumping for any
surgeries or procedures. I talk about what anaesthetic will be given
beforehand with the anaesthetist, the duration and trauma of the surgery
with the surgeon and then take it from there. For example, if the surgery
is going to last longer than an hour (as I would expect would be your
situation), I turn my basal down to 50%, unless a dextrose IV is also being
given during theatre and recovery time, where I leave it at normal rates. I
also ask if theatre staff could please test me every 15minutes - but please
do NOT adjust my pump. I usually expect BGs to go up a bit during surgery,
but they soon return to more acceptable levels once I am out of recovery.

In the past I have also asked my endocrinologist for his input prior to
surgery, but I've found that my own judgement is often far better than his,
so I no longer do that. Most surgeons I've dealt with have been more than
happy to leave the diabetic side of things to me so that they can
concentrate on their side.

Hope that's of some use to you.

(dm 34years, ancient pump 1978-1995; MM507C 2001->)