Re: [IPk] Cholesterol levels

Hi Helen It's Carmel. As a victim of all these secondary complications of
type 1, I can sympathise, I felt the same when I was initially told that all
my bloods, BP  etc were fine and subsequently told that I needed to start
Statins- cholesterol lowering drugs. There have been a lot of  results
generated from the UKPDS trials as well as the DCCT which surprisingly
relate to both type 1 and 2 which confirm that lowering of cholesterol in
both types as well as BP as significant factors in reducing coronary heart
disease and stroke in both types. I always felt that as a type 1- I was not
at risk of the latter but unfortunately I now know different my cholesterol
before I started the drugs was 5.4 and is now 3.3 and I was following a low
fat diet anyway. I have suffered no side effects as you take them at night
anyway. Yes I may have a few more years of DM on you but I still was
oblivious to the significance of all the other bloods bearing in mind that
my DM control is the best it has ever been and still not perfect. All the
best Carmel who is now improving greatly and can drive and walk further by
the day
Type 1 44 years minimed 508 since December 2000
PS a bit behind with list as my computer is poorly!