[IPk] Re; High BG's

Hi Di,

I live in Australia - Gold Coast where the winter day weather sits
comfortably at 22 degrees, and rises to 30 + in the summer.  I take out
my insulin from the fridge (because I was told not to inject cold insulin
- something to do with not working properly when cold) probably a day
before needed, and then that insulin sits in my cupboard in my bedroom
for the next 2 weeks (I think).  I have had no problems with my insulin
going off.  I use Novarapid.

However, about 3 weeks ago, I had raging high BG's.  I seemed to have
some sort of virus because I was shaking because I felt so cold and had a
temperature (however tests were OK).  I spent about 4 days in bed, mostly
sleeping and not really eating, but as I got better my BG's went high.  I
ended up really upping my basal rate.  I have a disetronic, so could just
set the pump to increase for however much I needed for however long I
needed.  At one stage I was giving myself 100% more insulin.  Then for no
reason, it just started coming down.  This was over a period of about 3
days, but felt like 3 weeks!!

I really believe that diabetes, as a disease it just has these "flips",
and the thing is to not blame ourselves, (which I have been for years),
but to check everything, (like you've done) and to use the pump as it was
designed.  The pump isn't going to stop us having these hic-ups, it just
allows us to control it better.

I went to the GP, who did a variety of blood tests, found my iron a bit
down, but really had no suggestions.

So, carry on.  Don't be discouraged, and there is light at the end of the
tunnel.  Pump away.

Regards

Heather

IDDM 44 years  disetronic - 3 years.