RE: [IPk] Constant basal requirement?

On 22 Jul 2003 at 10:41, Jackie Jacombs wrote:

> We give the Lantus in the morning.  I am worried that if we
> increase the Lantus that Sasha would go too low in the early
> hours.  I think these are similar figures to those you got
> with Emily. Though this was a good day getting only 8.8
> mmols at 10.30 as we have had  more days when she is more
> like 12 mmols at 11.00 pm!

Hi Jackie,

It does sound as though we are having similar problems.
Emily has been using Glargine for over 6 months now and we
don't seem any closer to good control. Taking the last 14
days, Emily's average bedtime BG is 5.4, sleep is 9.0
(ranging from 2.8 to15.8), pre-breakfast is 13.7 and pre-
lunch is 7.6.

Running BG's relatively high overnight still hasn't
prevented hypo's at night (2 readings of 3.3 or below over
the last 14 days). Looking back before we started Glargine,
the morning BG's were better at around 10 with similar hypo
levels so it doesn't look as though Glargine is the answer
for Emily. It could well be the onset of puberty that's
making matters worse though!

Hope things improve soon.

Mum to Emily aged 11, dx Oct '99
Novorapid x 4, Glargine x 1 - pump requested,
Robert aged 12 dx Mar '03
Novomix 30 x 2 (+ Novorapid when hungry!),
and Matthew aged 7.